We don't lead an exciting life...

but I thought it would be fun to give a glimpse into our simple life.

And believe me, it's NOT like Paris Hilton's simple life.







Thursday, March 4, 2010

Never take a trip to the mountains when there may be bad weather!

Tim and I decide to go to Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge this past weekend. We know I-40 is closed, but we don't normally go that way anyway, so no big deal right?




Wrong.





We normally go from SC into GA, then up to Cherokee, NC, then over the mountain (Hwy 441) into Gatlinburg. So... we go all the way through Cherokee and start up the mountain. But wait! There's a long line of stopped cars. Reckon why?




Oh! The road is closed.





They aren't wet or icy or anything, but they might get that way before we get down the other side of the mountain. So they're closing the road. Not normally a big deal. We can take I-40, right?




Ooops! No! It's closed too.



So... we're rerouted back through Cherokee and onto I-240 to I-26 to ASHEVILLE!!




Now, had we known this, we could have started out going to Asheville from our house and saved a few hours!




So, we take I-26 to Johnson City, TN, then take I-81 toward Knoxville, then Hwy 66 to Sevierville and on into Pigeon Forge.



The entire trip was 6 hours and 32 minutes.


One way.


So, I spend more than twice the amount of time driving to a little spur of the moment weekend getaway.



Good thing we had sustenance. Water and ham sandwiches and mini cherry Three Muskateers are a good thing when you're driving in the middle of no where and have no idea where you're going and you're trusting a little piece of paper with directions from a man, who says he's a park ranger, but who normally just works the mountain pass from Gatlinburg to Cherokee.



*breathe*




And when we finally get there? The little room had a bed and a TV. That's about it. And the bed was a double.



A DOUBLE?!?!?!


What hotel rooms nowadays has one double bed? Most of the time isn't there either a queen or a king if there's only one bed?




Lisa + Tim + double bed = not room to get comfy and sleep



And we forgot our pillows. So no good sleep for me.


We did have a really good breakfast at Mama's Farmhouse (or something like that) on Saturday morning. Bacon, eggs, pumpkin pancakes, biscuits, gravy.... and more!



Then we went to listen to a sales pitch to get a $75 prepaid Visa. That took an hour and a half.


When we came out the sales pitch was snowing!! Not a lot, but a few flurries.



Then Tim picked out this Italian place for supper. I'm picky. I know that. The lasanga had no mushrooms, so I ordered that. Let me just say, I'm not one to waste food, but I took 3 bites and that was all I could stomach. And an inedible salad. I don't know what these folks were thinking, but that was NOT food. Hey, at least the store bought breadsticks were edible.


Then back to the torture chamber.... I mean, room. For no sleep. Again.


The next morning, we left around 9:30 or 10:00 for the long trek home. We did, however, buy a map and was able to find a quicker and less "out of the way" way home.




Needless to say, I went to bed at 9:00 Sunday night. And slept til 7:00 Monday morning.




I need a vacation.




There were a few high points and a few more low points. But you get the picture.




Did I say picture? Here are a few. Maybe I'll post more later. Or you can find them on Facebook.





My Hunny:

Yikes! Ice!

Pretty icy trees at an overlook in Tennessee:



A view of the mountains from Pigeon Forge:

No comments:

Post a Comment